Ecowas Passport: Crossing West Africa Borders

You don’t have to wait for 6 months to get your international passport to travel to Ghana, all you need is a Ecowas Passport.????

Hey there, Alarinkas! Welcome back to my blog! Remember when we embarked on that amazing journey five years ago, exploring all 36 states in Nigeria?

Well, guess what? We’re going global now and venturing into West Africa! Our mission is to explore 10 West African countries in just 50 days using the incredible ECOWAS Travel Certificate.

Now, you might be wondering, what exactly is this ECOWAS Travel Certificate? Well, it’s not your usual Nigerian International Passport.

This special document allows you to travel freely across all 16 West African countries. So if you urgently need to visit Ghana, Benin, or Ivory Coast and can’t wait for the lengthy process of obtaining an international passport, the ECOWAS passport is the way to go!

So, how can you get your hands on this magical travel document? It’s actually quite simple! Depending on the state you’re in, you can obtain it within a day, or even in as little as three hours.

Here’s what you need to do:

  1. Visit the Passport Immigration office in your state. If you happen to be in Lagos, head to the Immigration Passport office at Alagbon in Ikoyi.


  • Just your National Identification Number (NIN) or an International Passport if you have one.
  • In some cases, you might be asked for additional documents like your Birth Certificate or State of Origin certificate, although it’s quite rare.


The price for the ECOWAS passport is around 25,000 Naira or even less, depending on your state.

As of now, I’ve already crossed eight West African countries with this passport, and I haven’t encountered any issues. It’s been smooth sailing all the way!

However, it’s always a good idea to be prepared for any situation while traveling.

I recommend carrying alternative forms of identification, such as your NIN.

In some cases, it might even be more powerful than your passport when traveling within West Africa.

Apart from the ECOWAS Travel Certificate, there are a few other documents you’ll need for your West African adventure:

  • Yellow Fever Vaccination card: Make sure you have this. Click here for more information on how to obtain it.
  • COVID-19 requirements: Stay up-to-date with the latest COVID-19 protocols and ensure you have the necessary documents for travel.

During my trip, I’ve found that some countries, like Mali, rarely ask for these additional documents at the border. However, it’s always better to have them handy, just in case.

In my upcoming blog posts, I’ll be sharing my border-crossing experiences while traveling through West Africa with the ECOWAS passport. I’ll talk about the good, the not-so-good, and everything you need to know about the countries I’m visiting.

I’m super excited about this journey, as we’re already 21 days into it! So make sure to keep an eye out for my future posts because you’ll get some exclusive insights and tips.

If you’re planning to travel to West Africa soon or dreaming about it, stay tuned! I’ll provide you with all the information you need to make your trip unforgettable.

Speak to you every weekend from now on, and remember to come back for more exciting updates.

Sending love always, Omotoke {Alárìnká}


  1. Thanks madam Alarinka for this insight. I will like to ask if you have visited free town in sierra leone with this Ecowas passport.

    Currently, am supposed to travel to free town on the 10th of Nov and return on the 12th of No v 2023., but Air Peace said they dont accept Ecowas passport after paying 1.2 for the Air ticket

    Pls advise on what to do.

  2. Can i use the ecowas card for Cameroon cause my passport is not ready yet and i need to travel to Cameroon

Leave a Reply